MATTHEW 25:40- AND THE KING SHALL ANSWER AND SAY UNTO THEM, VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, INASMUCH AS YE HAVE DONE IT UNTO ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE MY BRETHREN, YE HAVE DONE IT UNTO ME.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

I ran out of laundry soap last week and had bought most of the products I needed to make my own, then Friday before we left for the weekend, the rest of the items came from Alice.com, so first thing this morning, I made the soap so I could wash clothes! :)

Got the recipe HERE:

1 4 lb box Borax

1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (or two 2lb. boxes) :)

1 4lb box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (my box wasn't quite 4 lbs.)

3 bars of Fels-naptha soap

2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean (not sure if what I got was considered small, but it was the smallest the store had!)



I shredded the Fels-naptha soap in my food processor. Wasn't sure if I had the nerve too...was afraid it would leave a soapy taste, but I figured the dishwasher would take care of that!! I'm sure it was MUCH quicker than grating it by hand!!

 And no, this isn't cheese!! ;)


Then I dumped everything else in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed it all together!! 

Yes, I even bought a cute jar to store it in! Go figure, I JUST threw out my big plastic barrels that pretzels come in, which would have been a perfect container!! :P Sometimes it DOES pay to hang on to stuff!!


The Oxy Clean containers had these little handy 1 T. scoops in them! So glad I didn't buy anything special!! :)


From the wash I did today, I was impressed! The clothes smelled good and got clean. One piece that had a stain (that I forgot to pre-treat) came out clean!! :) I guess time will tell. It cost me $20 for all the ingredients shown in the top pic and supposedly this should last for a good 6 months or more....can't beat that!!


I also made a half batch of homemade fabric softener...

3 cups of HOT water~
added 1 cup of Suave hair conditioner and mixed till the conditioner dissolved, then added 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar. You can double that for a bigger batch, but I am about out of conditioner, so I didn't make so much this time!

This is the first time I've ever tried homemade soaps, so I am still a little skeptical, but so far I like what I see and smell! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment