MATTHEW 25:40- AND THE KING SHALL ANSWER AND SAY UNTO THEM, VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, INASMUCH AS YE HAVE DONE IT UNTO ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE MY BRETHREN, YE HAVE DONE IT UNTO ME.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chemistry Class ~Week 5

Emily is doing a wonderful job of teaching our kids chemistry class! I am enjoying it almost as much as they are! ;)

Class time.....review and new facts.


Mrs. Kay, standing against the left wall, is Emily's helper and also does some of the teaching.


This week we had 4 tables of experiments that some of us Mom's manned. The 3 groups of kids rotated between stations.
Here, Ms. Pam was helping them mix citric acid, sugar and baking soda. They each took a spoonful and put it in their mouth. What do you think happened? 
It foamed and fizzed just like carbonation in soda. {wish I had got pics of some of their faces} ;)


I really don't remember what they did here, but I know it involved ammonia! :)


Another group at the same table.


Trying to get away from the ammonia smells! :)


This was my table. The kids dropped iodine of different kinds of food. If the iodine turned black, the food had starch in it. If not, it didn't. We also discovered that paper towels have starch in them! ;)



The results...the bread, crackers and cereal proved to be starchy! 
 The one carrot looks black, but I think it's because there was a lot in the little hole I made in the top.


Ms. Patty and her table. I don't remember a whole lot about this one, but they put plain water in the glass, added food coloring and then stirred in clorox?? The clorox made it go back to clear water again! :)


See....the blue is slowly fading.


When we were all done, they took a cup full of the mixture they tasted and added water, to watch is foam up out of the cup. :)


Twas another fun class. I don't think we will be ready for this to end....3 more weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment